Dianne's Creative Table

I am inspired by light, all things natural, reusing previously loved items, and bargains!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

It Begins!

While I was out running errands Friday, this happened:

All the furniture, all the boxes..... GONE!   Dumpster arrives in a few days, and demo starts 4/25.  Knee replacement 5/2.  Go ahead, call me crazy and I will agree! 

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A New Visitor

Several years ago, I did a post about an owl that lived in our hollow tree which you can see HERE. Shortly after that post, the owl swooped across the road in chase after a bird and was hit by a truck as my husband stood and watched. We were so sad.  
For the last month or so, we have spotted a new Barred Owl in the woods next to our house. Isn't it a beauty?   He seems to like the wrought iron gate that my husband brought home.  It's not a gate to anywhere, it just hangs out in the woods for now.   

Last weekend as we pulled in the driveway in the late afternoon, the owl was visible in his/her usual spot. My husband did his perfect owl call and sure enough, our new visitor called back.  They carried on a conversation for a few minutes and then my husband left to run and errand.  Well this owl didn't like that one bit and he started calling and hooting for several minutes, trying to get a response and finally flew off deeper in the woods when he realized he was all alone again.   

Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Packing Process

The planning is almost over, the bids are completed, the decisions almost made, and we closed on the loan.  We are so close.  We are still frantically packing the last of it.  Once everything is out of the house, I plan to do a camera walk through to show you the very ugly, outdated before.

We hope the demolition will start week after next. That gives me next weekend to empty the rest of the kitchen cabinets.  It is also one week before I check into the hospital for bilateral knee replacement.  The only thing that would make my life crazier would be to get a kitten!  I know it will be worth it when all is finished, but I am not so sure about enjoying the journey.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Cooking While I Can

Since I am packing everything for our imminent remodel, I am trying to enjoy the last few weeks of cooking while I can.  Pasta dishes are always a quick go-to dish.

Mushroom Pappardelle with Taleggio Cheese 

Martha Stewart

Pungent Taleggio cheese makes a creamy coating for this decadent dish when tossed with warm mushrooms and pasta. You can also use brie, which is milder in flavor. 

  • PREP: 


  •  10 ounces dried pappardelle 
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper 
  • 1 stick unsalted butter 
  • 1 pound 4 ounces mushrooms, such as cremini and oyster, sliced 
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (from 2 large shallots) 
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc 
  • 8 ounces Taleggio or brie cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes 
  • 2/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Everywhere I turn lately, I am running into recipes for this pasta.  Check out Ellen's delicious recipe using a Lemon Pepper version of this pasta HERE
 Taleggio cheese from Costco
 Minced large shallot
 Minced garlic, which I added b/c I add garlic to everything!
 Coarse shopped parsley
Diced cheese 
This recipe goes together FAST!  It is best to have every ingredient chopped and ready before you start. 
Salute mushrooms in two batches 
 Boil pasta in salted water
 Shallots cooked until tender 
Add white wine

Drain pasta and reserve 3/4 C of water 
 Add 4 tablespoons of butter
 Add diced cheese and pasta
  Toss together with mushrooms and parsley
YUM! I served it with a Cesar Salad which I forgot to photograph. Start to finish 25 minutes.  This is a quick, decadent, and delicious pasta dish to enjoy very infrequently due to the calories!

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Packing It In!

It's time!  Provided the bank agrees with our plans, we will start demo in about a month.  I have been bringing boxes home from work for a month.  Time to start unloading, sorting, and packing it all up.  


I gathered liquor boxes for all the stemware.  The dividers made wrapping unnecessary. These few didn't fit. I will have to hit Old Time Pottery for some empty boxes.  

At the last minute I decided to stack all the china and cake plates in the guest room rather than wrap and pack it.  I felt it would be safer there than in a Pod outside.  I plan to stack all the placemats and napkins on the bed.  
It's a start, but I still have VERY long way to go.  The dining room will probably be emptied completely tomorrow.  Then I will start on my craft room which will take some t-i-m-e!!  

Friday, January 22, 2016

Bent, but Not Broken....

View of our Sweet Bay Magnolia this morning.  At that point, we had about 3" of snow on top of ice.
 A few hours later, the Sweet Bay is broken :(.  We now have about 6" of snow and still snowing for the next 2-3 hours.  

Saturday, January 9, 2016

How Many Years?

You may remember that Mr Creative and I got married on New Year's Eve.  We have a dinner party every year to celebrate.  Our problem this year, was we couldn't agree on how many years we have been married!  
We got married on Dec 31, 1998.  I just did the math:  1998 - 2015 is 17 years.  Mr Creative argues that we were only married a few hours in 1998, so it should be 16 years.  

Homemade black runner
Chargers - Pottery Barn Outlet
Plates - Old Time Pottery
Flatware - Onieda Sheraton

Even Miss Daisy Mae can't settle this one! 

Everyone loves the Christmas Specs.  They are fun and make each light look like a snowflake. 
So, as we said goodbye to 2015, we also said goodbye to our dining room, dishes, candle sticks, etc.  Very soon, everything will be boxed up ready for demo.   Next year, we will celebrate in our completely remodeled downstairs!  I know I am a little late, but Happy New Year to all.  Tablescape Thursday