Dianne's Creative Table

I am inspired by light, all things natural, reusing previously loved items, and bargains!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Oh-no Orchid

A few years ago, I received a beautiful orchid in full bloom as a gift.  Now I have always considered orchids "temporary flowers".  When they finished blooming, it was just a matter of time until the plant died and I would throw it away.  As you can probably tell, I am an orchid novice.   So when my gift orchid finished blooming, I put it in one of dining room windows and watered once a week like a do all my plants.  Nothing, for two years, not even a new leaf and I was ready to pitch it, but the leaves still looked alive.  Then last summer, what I thought was another wayward root, turned out to be a stem and it bloomed!  I was stunned since I had done nothing to assist it, but I was delighted and started to feel confident about my orchid skills.
Much to my surprise, about two months ago, the plant sent out another stem, but I was even more surprised when that stem branched into three and a half stems.  Oh  yeah, you know I was feeling like the orchid queen!

I was so excited.  I started taking pictures with a post in mind so I could show you the progress of the blooms.

All those little orchids buds just waiting to dazzle you with their beauty....

Things were really looking good.....

I was feeling really proud and I just couldn't wait to show you my beautiful orchid in all it's glory.
I was taking pictures almost daily to capture all the blooms as they opened.
Then, one and a time those unopened buds on my beautiful orchid started drooping and dropping!
What happened?  I changed nothing, same window, same watering, same feeding schedule.


I am so disappointed.  I think maybe my orchid tried to do too much.  I'm sure there are some orchid experts out there, what do you think happened? 
At least my Pee Gee Hydrangea is doing great, but maybe I shouldn't say anything or it too will drop all it's blooms.  
Linking to the following:
Tabletop Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. Oh Dianne,the orchid photo's are wonderful.sorry but I don't know,I sure don't have a green thumb.
    Hope it gets to feeling better.
    ~JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea, but the photos are gorgeous and the orchid is stunning. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dianne,
    I've never tried to grow an orchid, so I'm no help! I did want to tell you that I put a link to your blog on my most recent post. I did a tablescape with the Medway Decor china that we both have now. So come over for a visit.
    http://cottageatthecrossroads.com/my-new-vintage-china/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning shots and love those orchids.Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete