Dianne's Creative Table

I am inspired by light, all things natural, reusing previously loved items, and bargains!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Some Winter Color

I must confess, I am very ambivalent when it come to winter. I love the winter holidays that involve family, friends and food.  I love wearing scarves and especially love not having humidity-triggered hot flashes in the middle of the night!  I'm ambivalent because I don't like it getting dark so early, and I really don't like the drab, boring winter colors in Tennessee where it's just cold, brown, and gray, but seldom do we see the delight of snow. Like Narnia where it is always winter, but never Christmas.  It's too soon for a bright, spring table, but I have to create some color to try to cheer things up.




My sweet husband cut the dogwood branches for me.  See the red berries?  They are from Smith and Hawken and each one individually attaches to the branch with a thin wire.  Time consuming to attach, they really reflect the light when the candles and table lights are lit. 


Here's the table at night with the lights and candles lit.  The lights bring a lovely glow to the table.



I had a humdrum (at least I thought they were humdrum) set of Corning white dishes. I have wanted a new set of white dishes for a few years now.  A set with some edge attitude!  I found this set of eight place settings of Mikasa on sale at Macys, then 20% off the sale price and another $10 off coupon.  Score!  Not only did my sweet husband bring me the branches, he braved the after Thanksgiving hoards and picked up the dishes for me.  




My dear friend Suzanne arrived over the holidays bearing more of her beautiful antique store gifts and brought me the lovely clear glass plates.  They came with 11 of the smaller plates and 11 larger dinner plates.  Does anyone recognize them?  I would love to find that missing place setting somewhere.






I know I complained about the drab, gray TN winter and yet there is sun in these photo.  When the sun was shining this Monday morning, it was such a surprise, that I had to run fast and grab my camera to capture it before it was gone.


In fact, I starting shooting so fast, I didn't even notice Punkin's bed on the chair.



 Punkin is our kitty,  our very L-A-R-G-E kitty.


Here's hoping that your January is filled with light and color and few fat cats!  

One last photo to show you the view from my dining room window right now.




18 comments:

  1. I absolutely fell in love with your centerpiece, and of course Punkin! That mirror just makes everything so sparkly and red berries so colorful. Great scores on your plates -- both clear and white. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love birds and your centerpiece is so captivating. You did a fantastic job! I also love that great big table you have there. The checked napkins are perfect, I have them in black and green and never get tired of seeing them. I love it all and am now one of your newest followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your table. Those lighted branches put such a beautiful glow on the table. Loved your kitty too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the perfect way to banish the doldrums of January. Those red cardinals, the dogwood branches, the berries, the lights reflected on the mirror and your new dishes just make this a wonderful setting. Love the cute check napkins, too.

    I will keep my eyes peeled for your glass plates. What a nice friend to gift you with those. I don't know the pattern, but I do shop quite frequently, being a magpie and all. ;-)

    Happy Tablescape Thursday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    P.S. Love the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a bright, festive, and HAPPY winter table. What a great idea to use cardinals for the color inspiration. I also love the dogwood branch and lights on that mirror. It looks marvelous.

    Don't know anything about those clear dishes, but they look great with your new white ones and the red checked linen. All in all, a lovely winter table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely table especially the centerpc. - very very pretty with all the cardinals, I love cardinals myself. and the mirror was a great addition and made it looks so luminous. Very nice,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table is just beautiful!! What a great deal on your new dishes...but the best things are the cardinals. This is a perfect use of red and white without a hint of that upcoming red holiday. Very well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is terrific! How creative to use real branches (wonderful hubby - branches & dishes!) with all those red cardinals! It is very unique and interesting especially with it set on the mirror and the added sparkle. I like how it goes the length of the table and everyone has the same view when dining. Going back to look at this some more!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful table. The centerpiece is fantastic! I am not fond of winters in NY, but I have to bloom where I am! So I just keep thinking in 4 months we will be walking down the street to the bay to enjoy the beach!
    Thank you for following me, too!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to all my new followers. I am so delighted and excited that you think my tables are interesting enough to see and comment about what I do. I have been doing tables for many years, but didn't think what I did was worthy of blogging about, not to mention that I had no idea how to bog. I still can't figure out how to cop and paste a button from a hostess's party to my blog. am still learning, so any tips you can share would be most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cardinals! Your centerpiece makes me very happy...did Punkin try to eat them? It might be drab outside, but you have cornered the market on bright and cheerful. Your tablescape is delightful. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, I'm popping back over to wish you a Happy Seasonal Sunday! Still loving your tablescape. The perfect cheery sight!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely table and I love how it has blossomed with gifts from hubby and friends. Try to enjoy the winter. It's lack of fanfare makes us pause and think. And then there's SPRING!

    PS Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, that 'hat' on the back of the ship is the dragon's tail. It's part of a Viking ship. The first picture was the head of a dragon with the word Hagar on the side of the ship. The second shot was the Viking blowing his horn in the ship. The third shot was the dragon's tail. Sorry I confused you. I didn't get a shot of the whole ship. It went by too fast. LOL!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful table! Lovin' your centerpiece, it's just perfect for this time of year:@)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful tablescape. So bright and cheery with all the red and your new dishes are beautiful!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love cardinals, they are our state bird. I've been wanting to do something with the cardinals as well, but haven't gotten to it yet. I love the mirror runner, and your branches are awesome. Very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your table is perfect for this time of year. Especially with your beautiful views outdoors. I've been back 3 times so that I could feast on your beautiful table. I love the mirrored centerpiece and want you to know that attaching all the berries was so very worth it. Thanks for dropping by with your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete