Dianne's Creative Table

I am inspired by light, all things natural, reusing previously loved items, and bargains!

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Black Canyon of the Gunnison

One of the most amazing things we saw in CO this year was this canyon.  I wasn't prepared for how ominous and foreboding it would be.  I had heard it was beautiful, and it was, but it was also unlike anything I have seen before. 

The Gunnison River runs at the very bottom about 2000 feet below, but you can hear it at the rim as if you were standing beside it.  Click on the video to hear the roaring river.

We arrived at sundown and the light was not the best for shooting a dark slash in the earth.  The sunlight was too bright at the surface and the depth of the canyon was just grayed out. 




It was a very eery place.  I am not at all afraid of heights, but here, I felt if I lost my footing, I would be swallowed and never be found.   There are areas at the bottom of the canyon that the sunlight never reaches. 

 In spite of the challenges with the light, the Black Canyon left an impression I won't soon forget.  
As we came away from the National Park, we came upon a beautiful field at sunset. 



I am linking up this week at Seasonal Sunday

4 comments:

  1. love your photos, i have aquired vertigo with age so this terrified me... when i was young i went to gunnison to check out the college, i just wanted to ski, but it was too darn cold for me to want to stay!

    wonderful shots, from top to bottom~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lovely lady.
    I love all your photos of the Black Canyon !!! My husband and I did see this some years ago just Beautiful this is God's country.
    I would like to thank you so much for posting this, and I hope you and your family have a great week!!
    Also thanks for your sweet comments on my new post.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are just breathtaking. Simply amazing. Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - these were GORGEOUS photos! The first things that came to mind were agnostics and atheists. How could one doubt the existence of God with all that beauty?

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete