Dianne's Creative Table

I am inspired by light, all things natural, reusing previously loved items, and bargains!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

2011 Another Award Winning Garden


I'm going to interrupt my posts from the Philadelphia Flower Show with one last post from the 2011 Antique and Garden Show.  

The theme this year was Elements. and our garden was Fragrance.  Other gardens included water, stone, iron and wood.
It started like it always does, with the hardscape.
And..... this one was really hard!  I have big plans for these boulders in my garden soon.
 
All this will be transformed in a matter of 3 days.
Please, come join me in the garden.

The garden entry path was flanked by two large columns.  As so often happens, farm land was converted into a subdivision and the gate columns were discarded and left behind in what turned out to be the new homeowner's rose bed.  The home owner just wanted them hauled away. These columns were each carved from a single piece of stone. Experts estimate that they were carved in the early 1900's.



Another Best of Show Ribbon for my talented husband and the landscape architect Stephen Wells.

Soft textures combined with an interesting hardscape made this garden a winner.
Here's the giant boxwood the crew dug up.
Rosemary, thyme, fennel, eucalyptus, lavender and hyacinth provided the fragrance.   
The Antique and Garden Show is in February.  They take it all down in one day and then do it all again in March for the Lawn and Garden Show in a different location!   The Lawn and Garden Show is held in one of the fairgrounds buildings where the space creates it's own challenges.  Here are the same boulders, used in a different way.  
All these veggies are now growing along my driveway.  We have already eaten some of the broccoli.
See the same boxwood tucked in the corner?
 After a month of back to back garden shows, my husband is exhausted.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, very nicely done!! Congratulations to your husband. I love all of the elements that he added. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm visiting from Met Monday and am your newest follower. I love anything to do with gardening and your post certainly caught my eye! I hope you'll come visit my new blog too.

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I love those columns! They did a wonderful job!
    I would love to go to the Garden Shows, but the closest one to me is about 2 hours away, so I live vicariously through these posts.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh beautiful! Any chance I can get some help with my sorry yard? Hah! Thanks for sharing and congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to use those wonderful vintage columns at your house? They are so cool. Deserved award, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old columns! I am trying to incorporate fragrance in my garden. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the old columns! What a find. Loved this pathway.. so want to do this on the west side of our house. I can almost smell the fragrance through the www! Congrats on another win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dianne, this is the 4th one I've looked at. Your husband is extremely talented.......wonderful that he gets Best in Show each year. Congratulations to your guy!

    ReplyDelete